Gentle and Expert Wisdom Tooth Extractions in Saskatoon
Wisdom tooth removal is a common type of tooth extraction that involves the removal of one or more wisdom teeth. This is usually recommended when the wisdom teeth do not have enough space to grow properly, causing pain, infection and other oral health issues.
At Willowgreen Dental, we have a team of experienced dentists performing wisdom tooth extractions. Because we understand that this procedure can be a source of anxiety for many patients, we ensure to make the experience as comfortable and stress-free as possible. Our dentists will also provide instructions on how to care for your mouth after the extraction to ensure proper healing.
Why You May Need Wisdom Teeth Removal
Wisdom teeth are the last set of molars to grow and usually appear between 17 and 25.
However, not everyone develops wisdom teeth, and those who do may not always have enough space for them to come in properly.
This can lead to various issues, such as:
What Is the Process for Surgical Tooth Extraction?
Aftercare Tips After the Removal of Wisdom Teeth
- Rest and Recover. Avoid strenuous activities for a few days after the procedure to allow your body to heal.
- Pain Management. We may prescribe over-the-counter pain medication to help manage pain.
- Ice Pack. Apply an ice pack to the affected area for 15 minutes to help reduce swelling.
- Eat Soft Foods. Initially, stick to soft foods like yogurt, pudding, soup and applesauce. As you heal over the next few days, gradually reintroduce solid foods into your diet.
- Avoid Certain Activities. For at least 24 hours, don’t smoke and avoid drinking through a straw or rinsing your mouth. These activities can dislodge the blood clot that forms in the extraction site, causing a dry socket.
- Keep Your Mouth Clean. While you should avoid rinsing your mouth on the day of surgery, after 24 hours, you can gently rinse with warm salt water (1/2 teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of warm water) several times a day to cleanse the area and soothe soreness.
- Follow-Up Appointments. Attend all follow-up appointments so your dentist or oral surgeon can monitor your healing and address any concerns. It can take up to two weeks for the mouth to fully heal after a wisdom tooth removal.
Let Willowgreen Dental Handle Your Wisdom Tooth Removal
At Willowgreen Dental, our experienced dentists are committed to providing gentle and expert wisdom tooth extractions in Saskatoon. We prioritize your comfort and safety during the procedure and provide thorough aftercare instructions to ensure a smooth recovery.
If you are experiencing issues with wisdom teeth, schedule a consultation with us today!